Some thoughts on the Devils 2-1 shootout win vs Winnapeg.
1. The Devils finally won a shootout! I’m not a fan of shootouts and quite frankly don’t think they are how a game should be decided, that however doesn’t take away from the excitement of finally winning one and snapping the streak. Let’s hope they keep winning them through out the season.
2. Corey Schneider was the reason we won this game. He mad some huge stops after allowing the the first goal to Blake Wheeler and kept it close. He also turned aside all three in the shootout. The Devils didn’t play there best game and the credit goes to Schneider for this one.
3. Jacob Josefson deserves to stay in the line up and possibly be moved up a line. In my eyes he still has potential and really hasn’t been given a fair shot. Since being called up he has a goal (short handed vs Penquins) and an assist. Tonight he remained off the score sheet but potted the winning shootout goal. No doubt he makes the 4th line better but he should move up a line. To me he has a new found confidence/attitude this year and I think he is finally going to show it.
4. Zajac and Jagr desperately need Cammalleri back in the line up. Playing with Zubrus just doesn’t help anyone. Cammalleri scores goals plane and simple and this line is missing that. Zubrus obviously has good possession skills but so does Zajac and Jagr. A scorer on that line is needed and it showed tonight.
5. The kids rose to the occasion. Defensively Severson, Merrill, and Larsson all stepped up when they had to. Severson stopped a few odd man rushes late in the game, showing the poise of a veteran. Merrill also played a sound defensive game and assisted on the tying goal. Larsson, playing less minutes then the others was still affective. He played smart and was physical. If he keeps getting chances his confidence will grow and he will only get better. Remember he is 21 and the sky is the limit.
6. Salvador. It’s almost hard to start there is so much wrong here. Let’s start with the one positive, he only played 12 minutes. This was the lowest total of the season for traffic cone Sal and for good reason. Deboer says it was because we were down and if we were up he would have played more. To me those are just words to not bash the captain. It’s no coincidence that after his abysmal turnover in the 3rd that he never saw the ice again. Larsson took a good hit in the corner to move the puck up the wall and what does our fearless leader do, throws the puck in the middle right to an opposing player. If not for Corey that would have put the Devils behind 2 and a comeback would have been hard. I cross my fingers that Deboer is finally realising this guy just can’t play, that we are better off with kids learning and improving.
Saturday night we face Colombus at home. They have a depleted line up do to an above average number of injuries, perhaps this is just what the doctor ordered for NJ to stay in the win column.